Thursday, February 24, 2005

Mount Up. We're Moving Out.

Citizen SMASH runs the San Diego chapter of Protest Warrior in addition to publishing his own fine blog.

Maybe you remember these words from two years ago:

I want to talk today about how we’re actually going to stop the occupation. I don’t have a plan, but I think there’s some key strategies that we need to adopt, that are gonna make this more successful.

And the first thing is that we need to support the resistance of Iraqis in Iraq. These are people who are risking their lives to get the United States out of their country. And we have to see them as our allies. We have to see them as our main allies.

Similarly, we have to support resistance in the US military. Soldiers, and you know, anyone – families who are actually opposing the war, we need to be on their side.

If you recall, there’s one time in the last 30 years when the US military machine was brought down, during Vietnam, and it was brought down because there was a fierce resistance in Vietnam, and because the soldiers were refusing to fight...


Those words were spoken by a woman named Rebecca, addressed to an antiwar crowd gathered in Balboa Park. She spoke near the end of the program, after all the media had put away their weapons, I mean cameras, and assumed she was just preaching to the choir.

SMASH had a tape recorder. Roger Hedgecock played the tape on his KFMB radio show two days later, and shortly after that he played it again when he guest hosted the Rush Limbaugh Show. That was where I heard it for the first time.

The anniversary of that event is March 19. ANSWER, CodePink, assorted communists, anarchists, moonbats, and other people waiting on their Canadian or french visas are going to return to Balboa to see if they can outdo Rebecca's 2004 effort.

This year they'll have company:

We're asking everyone in San Diego to celebrate Independence Day a little bit early this year. On March 19, from 1 to 4pm, come to the west end of Balboa Park for a Patriots' Picnic, in the grassy area along Sixth Avenue, just south of Laurel Street.


I love San Diego in the spring. I love my country even more. I'm going. I reckon a small flag and a tasteful sign will be in order. I intend to cook Dutch oven pork ribs for give- away snacks, too.

If you live on the I-15 corridor between Utah and San Diego and are interested in a blazing down- and - back road trip, drop me a line via comments or email and we'll see if we can work something out.

No comments: